Source:

Khalaf
RT
,
Gurevich
Y
,
Marwan
AI
, et al
.
Button battery powered fidget spinners: a potentially deadly new ingestion hazard for children
.
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr.
2018
;
66
(
4
):
595
97
; doi:
https://doi.org/10.1097/MPG.0000000000001892

Investigators from the Children’s Hospital of Colorado and Cohen Children’s Medical Center of New York present 2 case reports of button battery ingestion (BBI) from a lighted fidget spinner. Fidget spinners with light sources often contain lithium button batteries. The investigators describe clinical presentation and course.

The first patient was a previously healthy 4-year-old girl who had been chewing on a lighted fidget spinner before accidentally swallowing a piece of it. She was immediately brought to the ED. Chest x-ray identified a foreign body in the mid-esophagus. The patient subsequently vomited up the object, identified as a plastic disc that housed a 12-mm lithium button...

You do not currently have access to this content.