In 1989, a four-month old girl died of suffocation after becoming entangled in the twin-size bed sheet placed in her crib. In 1998, a 12-month old boy died a similar death-pulling a fitted crib sheet off his crib's mattress and wrapping it around himself.

A number of deaths and injuries has sparked a renewed effort from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reminding parents of the hidden hazards of loose or oversized sheets in babies' cribs.

Since 1984, CPSC has received 17 reports of babies, most under 12 months old, who suffocated when they became entangled in sheets in their cribs or beds.

In an attempt to strengthen safety requirements for fitted crib sheets, a warning label is now required on all fitted crib sheets that says "Prevent suffocation or entanglement. Never use crib sheet unless it fits securely on crib mattress."

CPSC also is working with the industry...

You do not currently have access to this content.