Editor’s note:Member Stories is an occasional feature that highlights the experiences of members who engaged with the Academy and found the value of membership exceeded their expectations.

To a toddler, a shiny button battery is an intriguing object that needs to be touched and tasted but sometimes is accidentally swallowed. For Steven E. Krug, M.D., FAAP, these bite-sized sources of energy cause emergency department (ED) visits he’d much rather prevent than treat.

“One of the challenges of this potential danger is that most of the time parents do not witness the ingestion, making it hard to connect symptoms — loss of appetite, irritability and vomiting — to the problem,” said Dr. Krug, head of emergency medicine at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago. “The work I do as a clinician to help children who come to my ED because of accidents of one kind or another...

You do not currently have access to this content.