Topics:deglutition, eyedrops, nasal spray
Parents are warned to store over-the-counter eye drops used to relieve redness and nasal decongestant sprays out of reach of children. Swallowing less than half a teaspoon of the products can cause serious health problems, such as vomiting, altered heart rate and coma, or death, according to the Food and Drug Administration.
Sprays and drops contain the active ingredients tetrahydrozoline, oxymetazoline or naphazoline. Find a complete list of products at www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm325257.htm#list..
If a child accidentally swallows the products, call the Poison Control Center (800-222-1222) and seek immediate emergency medical care.
Copyright © 2012 by the American Academy of Pediatrics