After a long legal battle, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recalled Buckyballs and Buckycubes, the high-powered magnet sets that have been accidentally swallowed by children, many of whom needed surgery. When swallowed, the magnets can attract each other and cause holes in internal organs or death.

Buckyballs and Buckycubes consist of numerous small, high-powered magnets of various colors. About 2.5 million sets of Buckyballs and Buckycubes have been sold in retail stores nationwide and online since 2009.

The CPSC urges consumers to stop using Buckyballs and Buckycubes, and check for any magnets that have become separated. Consumers who bought either product are eligible for a refund if they file a claim by Jan. 17, 2015. For information, visit