The Academy is co-hosting a free webinar on youth depression this week.
“Identifying Opportunities for Prevention and Intervention in the Youth Depression Cascade” will be held from 2-3 p.m. EST Nov. 19 in partnership with the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.
Depression affects about 10% of adolescents, and 80% of them do not receive appropriate care. Roughly 8% of youths with depression complete suicide by young adulthood.
The webinar will explore using the continuum of care model to track and increase the proportion of youths at risk for major depressive episodes (MDE) who receive prevention interventions, and to track youths experiencing MDE who are linked to care and show symptom remission.
- C. Hendricks Brown, Ph.D., Northwestern University, introduction;
- Alain Joffe, M.D., M.P.H., FAAP, Johns Hopkins University, “Identification, Prevention, and Treatment of Adolescent Depression in Primary Care”;
- R. Eric Lewandowski, Ph.D., New York University, “Management of Adolescent Depression in Health Systems”;
- Tatiana Perrino, Psy.D., University of Miami, “Identifying Opportunities for Prevention and Intervention in the Youth Depression Cascade: A Focus on Prevention;”and
- Fan Tait, M.D., FAAP, American Academy of Pediatrics, summary.
To register for the webinar, visit http://bit.ly/1Hr7IMn. Those who register but cannot attend at the scheduled time will receive a recording of the event. Email Anthony Janifer at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.