The American Academy of Pediatrics is warning parents and caregivers to keep high-powered magnetic balls and cubes away from children and teens. If more than one high-powered magnet is swallowed, they can attract each other and cause serious internal injuries or death.
Children have needed surgery after swallowing high-powered magnetic balls or cubes, and one child died. Teens also have had surgery after placing magnets in their mouth to mimic mouth piercings and swallowed them by mistake.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission recently recalled more than 10 million Zen Magnets and Neoballs.
Description: Zen Magnets and Neoballs are high-powered 5-millimeter round magnets. Zen Magnets were sold individually and in sets of 72,216 with six spares, and 1,728 with eight spares. Neoballs were sold individually and in sets in silver, gold, red, orange, green, red, blue and purple. “Zen Magnets” or “Neoballs” is printed on the packaging.
Sold at: Online at Neoballs.com and ZenMagnets.com and Colorado retailers (see list at https://bit.ly/3BcwQUp) beginning in January 2009 for $12 to $264 per set or 6 to 10 cents per magnet.
Remedy: Stop using the magnets and contact Zen Magnets LLC for a refund.
Contact: Call Zen Magnets LLC at 844-936-6245 or email email@example.com.
To prevent serious magnet ingestion injuries and deaths, safety experts urge the following:
- Tell children and teens to never put magnets near their mouth or nose or use magnets to mimic piercings.
- Remove magnet sets, small magnets and small pieces containing magnets from your home.
- Look for loose magnetic pieces and inspect toys and play areas for missing or dislodged magnets.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you suspect your child may have swallowed a magnet. Symptoms including abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea may not appear until after serious internal injury has occurred.
For more information, visit http://bit.ly/cpscmagnetinfo.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has announced the recall of the following products. Consumers should stop using recalled products unless otherwise instructed. Consumers can submit reports of harm to CPSC’s searchable online product safety database at www.SaferProducts.gov. A searchable food and medical product recall database is available at www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm.
Hoverboard battery packs
Units: About 237,000
Hazard: The lithium ion GLW battery pack in the self-balancing scooter/hoverboard can overheat, smoke, catch fire or explode.
Description: Recalled are the removable GLW battery pack installed in the Hovertrax 2.0 self-balancing scooters/hoverboards manufactured between September 2016 and August 2017. GLW is printed in large letters on the battery packs. A serial number beginning with GLW is printed on a white sticker on the top of the battery pack below the bar code.
Sold at: Walmart, Target, Toys R Us and other stores nationwide and online at Walmart.com, Amazon.com and other websites from September 2016 through 2018 for about $460.
Remedy: Stop using the self-balancing scooters/hoverboards and contact Razor for a prepaid shipping carton to return the battery pack for a replacement.
Contact: Call 866-467-2967 or visit https://razor.com/recalls/.
Hazard: The products are labeled as infant formula but are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration and may not contain enough iron for some infants.
Description: Recalled are infant formula products sold under four brands: HiPP, Holle, Bioland and Kendamil.
Sold at: The infant formula was imported from Europe and sold online at www.littlebundle.com starting on May 20.
Remedy: Do not use the products as infant formula and dispose of them immediately.
Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Units: About 17,750
Hazard: The utensil handle can break off, and children can choke on the small pieces.
Description: Recalled Cutie Spoovel eating utensils for young children are made of silicone with a plastic core and were sold as a set of two.
Sold at: Online at https://www.ryanandrose.co from April through July for about $14.
Remedy: Dispose of the utensils and contact the company for a refund or $20 shop credit.
Contact: Call 800-317-8764, email Recall@RyanAndRose.co or visit https://bit.ly/3DqYgb9.
Units: About 15,500
Hazard: The wooden ring can break into small parts, and children can choke on the pieces.
Description: Recalled are 11 styles of round teethers made between 2015 and 2020 with a sewn-in white label with date codes: JUL15, 1117, 0618, 0719 or 1020. Names and SKU codes are: floral, nautical and pattern fabric wood teethers (1BBY4166, 1BBY4167, 1BBY4168), lamb, monkey and bunny wood and knit rattle teethers (1BBY4250, 1BBY4251, 1BBY4252), baby's first Valentine’s day bib and rattle set (1VTD1635) and lion, monkey, zebra and elephant plush baby teethers (1MJB3514, 1MJB3515, 1MJB3516, 1MJB3517).
Sold at: Hallmark Gold Crown stores, supermarkets, pharmacies, boutique gift shops and online at www.hallmark.com from June 2015 through June 2021 for $10 to $25.
Remedy: Take away the teethers and contact Hallmark for a $25 gift card.
Contact: Call 800-425-5627 or visit https://www.hallmark.com/recall.
Units: About 9,500
Hazard: The purple scent stamper pen has elevated levels of benzyl alcohol, which can irritate the skin.
Description: Recalled are eight-pack Scent Stamper Pens in eight colors. Decorative decals such as heart, stars and paw prints are printed on the pens. Primark and product No. 9799701 are on a label on the back of the package.
Sold at: Primark stores in the Northeast, Florida and Chicago from January 2019 through May 2021 for about $2.
Remedy: Return pens to a Primark store for a refund.
Contact: Call 617-946-3236 or visit http://bit.ly/2HRHkjS.
Units: About 7,600
Hazard: The octopus and elephant puzzle pieces can break, and children can choke on the pieces.
Description: Recalled are two models of wood puzzles with animal pieces that fit on a tray. The Ocean puzzle has pieces in the shape of a whale, tortoise, fish, star fish, sea horse and octopus. The Safari version has a sun, crocodile, giraffe, lion, snake and elephant. Wee Gallery is printed on the right edge of the tray.
Sold at: Independent toy and children’s stores and online at www.weegallery.com from February 2020 to June 2021 for about $30.
Remedy: Take puzzles away from children, and contact Wee Gallery for a refund in the form of a gift certificate.
Units: About 370
Hazard: The pompom on the sock can fall off, and children can choke on it.
Description: Recalled are Nordstrom’s Tucker & Tate brand anklet socks sold in children’s sizes 5 to 7 and in a pack with three pairs of socks. Packs included one gray pair, one white and blue pair and one white and red pair with a pompom attached to the ankle. UPC code 439113514195 is on the package.
Sold at: Nordstrom stores nationwide from May through June for about $12.
Remedy: Stop using the socks, and contact Nordstrom to receive a refund.
Contact: Call 800-804-0806, email email@example.com or visit https://bit.ly/3m93r9o.
Units: About 120
Hazard: The bath seats can tip over while in use, and babies can drown.
Description: Recalled Frieyss infant bath seats are blue plastic with four green suction cups on the bottom. Stickers featuring clouds, a lion, a sun and a squirrel holding two balloons are on the front. The seats are advertised for ages 6 to 12 months. A label on the seat reads “barcode-X002RAO6GV Baby Shower Chair.”
Sold at: Amazon.com from March through April for about $40.
Remedy: Stop using the bath seat, and contact Frieyss for a refund.
Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org.