Annual meeting abstracts
The Academy is accepting submissions for abstracts to be presented at the 2016 National Conference & Exhibition Oct. 22-25 in San Francisco. Council and section programs held at the conference cover clinical matters or research related to subspecialty or special interest areas. Deadline for submissions is April 8. Find more information at http://www.aap.org/abstracts, call 800-433-9016, ext. 4079, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, 20 councils and sections are participating in an opportunity to support members in obtaining Maintenance of Certification Part 4 credit for quality improvement work that they present at the council/section conference program. For details, visit www.aap.org/mocabstracts.
Digital Navigator demo
Lower your costs, improve care and gain National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) medical home recognition with the Digital Navigator.
The Web-based software application helps guide patient care decisions, promotes family and patient education, and supports administrative functions to ensure successful implementation of the Patient- and Family-Centered Medical Home model of care based on the 2014 NCQA standards.
Email DNSales@aap.org to schedule a demo and receive a free pediatric ICD-10-CM manual. Offer expires March 31. For more information, visit http://digitalnavigator.aap.org.
Infographic on weighing children in kilograms
Only one in two hospitals weighs and records children in kilograms. Not using kilograms can lead to drug dosing errors. Help spread this message by sharing an infographic from the National Pediatric Readiness Project via social media.
Find the infographic at http://bit.ly/209j0rY.
Interested in learning which emergency departments are participating in the pediatric readiness project in your state? Visit www.pediatricreadiness.org.
- Red Book Online now includes the full text of the Spanish 2015 Red Book. See Spanish Edition PDFs by going to http://redbook.solutions.aap.org/ and clicking on Table of Contents then Spanish Edition. All AAP members receive Red Book Online as a member benefit. AAP members also can purchase the print version or e-book at 50% off the retail price of $149. Visit http://shop.AAP.org for details.
- The six-part AAP Trauma Toolbox for Primary Care addresses adverse childhood experiences and the process of asking families about exposure to these experiences and other traumatic events. Visit the AAP Healthy Foster Care America Web page: http://bit.ly/1OZ5TnW.
- School Health: Policy and Practice, seventh edition, from the AAP Council on School Health, includes new content on school health in medical education, family and community involvement, and staff wellness (MA0698; members: $46.95). Visit http://shop.aap.org/School-Health-Policy-and-Practice-7th-Edition-Paperback.
Prevent, treat pertussis: online course
Pertussis often goes undiagnosed, allowing the disease to spread. The PediaLink online course Challenging Cases: Pertussis helps identify risk factors, symptoms, treatment options and prevention strategies for pertussis.
The course addresses changing epidemiology of pertussis disease; impact of increasing adolescent and adult pertussis illness on the community; cocooning and immunization strategies; preventive vaccines and recommended vaccination schedule; examination of atypical cases; and pertussis post-exposure prophylaxis.
Participants are eligible for AMA PRA Category 1 credit. Visit http://bit.ly/cc-pertussis.
Medical home resources
The National Center for Medical Home Implementation, a cooperative agreement between the Maternal and Child Health Bureau and the Academy, created the following resources:
Strategies to Enhance Care for Hispanic Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs. This fact sheet for clinicians is based on lessons learned from a community-based medical home project. Visit http://bit.ly/1nyqfhl.
Rhode Island: Advancing the Medical Home Model in Pediatrics. The Rhode Island Pediatric Practice Enhancement Project places family/peer resource specialists in pediatric practices to enhance care coordination, family-centered care and cultural competency for families and children. Learn about the project’s components, payment model and outcomes at http://bit.ly/1QDzOqx.
Weiss Pediatric Care: Promising Practices in Pediatric Medical Home Implementation in Sarasota, Fla., shares innovative practices in pediatric medical home implementation, http://bit.ly/1KFDRMr.
AAP coding webinars offered
- Mastering Modifiers: presented Feb. 24. Archive available.
- Coding for Pediatric Preventive Services: March 30. Sign up now.
- ICD-10-CM: The Road So Far and Lessons Learned (date to be determined)
- E/M Basics and Making Time (date to be determined)
To register, visit http://bit.ly/1Ri1mC5.
Medical conference on gun violence
The National Medical Council on Gun Violence is hosting a conference April 16-17 near the University of Illinois, Chicago medical campus.
The conference will address evidence around firearm ownership and use, and support health care providers in translating that understanding into evidence-based clinical care.
Registration is $195 if claiming continuing medical education (CME) credit or $30 with no CME credit. For details and to register, visit www.nmcgv.org/conferences/.
Pre-travel evaluation portal
A free clinical tool helps pediatricians and other health care providers prepare patients for safe and healthy international trips.
The Pre-Travel Providers’ Rapid Evaluation Portal was developed and supported by Massachusetts General Hospital and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The online tool provides interactive results based on recommendations in the Yellow Book (2016 Health Information for International Travel) and the CDC. The resource is continuously updated to reflect new recommendations. Access the program on the Massachusetts General Hospital website: http://gten.travel/prep/prep.