There have been many questions raised over the proper reporting of hydration, infusion, and injection codes by physicians providing the services in the emergency department (ED) or hospital outpatient department. As a result the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) Editorial Panel has clarified billing for these services when they are performed outside the office setting.

CPT does not preclude or prohibit ED physicians from reporting hydration (90760, 90761), intravenous infusion services (90765–90768), or therapeutic, prophylactic, and diagnostic injections (90772–90779). However, codes 90760–90779 are predominantly used to report practice expenses associated with the services. The physician work associated with these procedures involves only affirmation of the treatment plan and direct supervision of the staff performing the services.

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has designated hydration, infusion, and injection services as incident-to codes for physician reporting. This means that these services may be paid only when...

You do not currently have access to this content.