Children can get very sick if they come in contact with medicines, household products, pesticides, chemicals, or cosmetics. This can happen at any age and can cause serious reactions. However, most children who come in contact with these things are not permanently hurt if they are treated right away.

Here is information from the American Academy of Pediatrics on how to prevent and treat poisonings in and around your home.

Most poisonings occur when parents are not paying close attention. While you are busy doing other things, your child may be exploring closets or under bathroom sinks, where dangerous household items are often stored. Children are at risk for poisoning because they like to put things into their mouths and taste them. Remember to always keep a close eye on your child. Watch your child even more closely when you are away from home—especially at a grandparent’s home, where medicines...

You do not currently have access to this content.