There are different levels of intervention that a teacher and school can provide to your child.

To get a Section 504 plan or an IEP for your child, you or a teacher at your child’s school must make a written request. Your pediatrician can help you make this request by getting together information about your child or by helping you write a letter.

Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is covered by Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), which gives funding to schools to make IEPs for children with disabilities. If a child has ASD and it affects his functioning in school, he may qualify for school-based services. The school team and the family need to agree on what services your child should get in the IEP. Some children with ASD have fewer academic needs, and school districts may want the child to have a Section 504 plan...

You do not currently have access to this content.