There are several general warning signs of possible delay. These include

Developmental delay is identified through 2 types of assessments.

Children with suspected developmental delay can be evaluated by health professionals in an early intervention program or a local Part C program. They may see their pediatrician/primary care provider in the medical home, a psychologist, a developmental-behavioral pediatrician, or a behavioral specialist. In addition, several clinical specialists who are specifically trained in various areas of development can be consulted. These include speech-language therapists, occupational and physical therapists, developmental psychologists, and audiologists.

The Care Plan will vary depending on what developmental domain is delayed.

Source: Managing Chronic Health Needs in Child Care and Schools: A Quick Reference Guide.

Products are mentioned for informational purposes only. Inclusion in this publication does not imply endorsement by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Listing of resources does not imply an endorsement by the American Academy...

You do not currently have access to this content.