To the Editor.

I have just read the AAP Committee on Environmental Health's “Toxic Effects of Indoor Molds,” which appeared in the April 1998 issue of Pediatrics. Unfortunately, I do not find any mention of indoor use of vaporizers/humidifiers in this warning report. What should we pediatricians know or do in this regard—if anything?

In Reply.

Many parents use cool mist humidifiers or vaporizers when children have colds or when the air is dry in the winter. Contaminated humidifiers are a very common source of airborne mold spores in the home. Acute pulmonary hemorrhage in infants has been linked to toxins produced by molds such as Stachybotrys atrathat grow in homes with severe water damage from flooding, roof leaks, or plumbing leaks. However, S atra has not been shown to grow in cool mist humidifiers or vaporizers. This mold requires water-saturated, cellulose-based materials to grow, and...

You do not currently have access to this content.