Human glycol ether poisonings are sparsely reported in the medical literature. We describe a healthy 22-month-old boy who accidentally drank up to 330 mL of brake fluid containing a 75% bleed of various glycol ethers (5%–50% polyethylene glycol monomethyl ether, 15%–40% triethylene glycol monoethyl ether, 1%–30% triethylene glycol monomethyl ether, 1%–25% triethylene glycol monobutyl ether, 1%–20% polyethylene glycol, monobutyl ether, 1%–20% triethylene glycol, and <10% of other glycol ethers). Within 4 hours, he became somnolent and developed a persistent metabolic acidosis. Thirty minutes later, he received 1 dose of fomepizole. Neither progression nor improvement in clinical or metabolic status was noted after the fomepizole. He received hemodialysis for 3 hours ∼8 hours after ingestion, and his symptoms resolved resulting in an uneventfully recovery.
Severe Poisoning After Accidental Pediatric Ingestion of Glycol Ethers
FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE: The authors have indicated they have no financial relationships relevant to this article to disclose.
- Views Icon Views
- Share Icon Share
- Search Site
George S. Wang, Shan Yin, Brian Shear, Kennon Heard; Severe Poisoning After Accidental Pediatric Ingestion of Glycol Ethers. Pediatrics October 2012; 130 (4): e1026–e1029. 10.1542/peds.2011-3849
Download citation file: