Six patients exposed to 3% hexachlorophene were studied. Two were adults that had accidentaly ingested a large amount of the substance. The remaining were children, two of which were being treated with 3% hexachlorophene baths for burns and two for severe congenital ichthyosis.

The two adults developed symptoms shortly after ingestion and died in less than 48 hours. The interval between exposure and symptoms in the children ranged from six hours to ten days. All the children showed severe vacuolation of the white matter in different areas of the cerebrum as well as the cerebellum. In the two adults no vacuolation of the white matter was evident.

This content is only available via PDF.
You do not currently have access to this content.