1. Tobacco is a major health hazard to children and adolescents.
2. Maternal use of tobacco has significant adverse effects on pregnancy and fetal outcome.
3. Exposure to ETS has major effects on the health and psychosocial well-being of children.
4. Tobacco use by children is associated with chronic and recurrent medical problems as well as with increased risk for significant morbidity and mortality. Furthermore, tobacco use may be a marker for youth at risk for other behavioral problems.
5. Nicotine is an addicting substance and may serve as a gateway drug for the subsequent use of illicit substances.
6. Tobacco advertising is appealing to young people and may have a powerful effect in influencing them to begin tobacco experimentation.
7. A tobacco-free environment is an imperative for the health of children and adolescents.