Skip Nav Destination
2017 National Conference & Exhibition Abstracts sorted by program
Joint SOCC-PCCC Program
(12) Establishing a Ventilator Weaning and Extubation Readiness Protocol in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Utilizing Pressure Regulated Volume Control and Volume Support: A Quality Improvement Initiative
(14) Perioperative use of Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in Traumatic Bronchial Avulsion in Children
(18) New Frontiers in Pediatric Critical Care: Mild Hypothermia and Selective Antegrade Cerebral Perfusion During Cardiopulmonary Bypass Surgery in Children
Utpal S. Bhalala, MD, FAAP; Malarvizhi Thangavelu, MBBS; Richard Owens, BS, MT, CCP, FPP, LP; Maria Zamora, RN; Daniel Nento, MD ...
(19) Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation During Ground and Air Medical Transport: The First, Multi-center, International Report Using A Large Database on Ground and Air Medical qUality Transport (GAMUT)
Topics: cardiopulmonary resuscitation
(20) Temperature Strategies During Cardiopulmonary Bypass Surgery and Outcomes in Infants With Congenital Heart Defects
Utpal S. Bhalala, MD, FAAP; Malarvizhi Thangavelu, MBBS; Richard Owens, BS, MT, CCP, FPP, LP; Elumalai Appachi, MD; Daniel Nento, MD ...
(26) A Dedicated Quality Champion Prompting Rounding Teams to Address a Daily Best Practice Checklist in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
(30) Duration of intubation, timing of extubations, and barriers to performing extubation readiness trials in a pediatric ICU: preliminary data from a prospective unit-based study
Omar Fares, B.S.; Theresa Graif, M.D.; James Walston, M.D.; Victoria Walston, B.A.; Daniel Hubbard, M.D.
(32) Testosterone as adjunctive therapy for patients requiring prolonged mechanical ventilation: A Retrospective Cohort Study
Jessica N. MacIntyre, MSc; Chris Soder, MD, FRCPC; Gavin Morrison, MSc, MRCP(UK); Dimas Mateos-Corral, MD; Jennifer Foster, MD, FRCPC
(50) Assessing nursing and healthcare provider comfort and knowledge of caring for the pediatric patient with delirium in the critical care setting: Where can we improve?
(51) A pilot study of a navigator-based intervention to support communication and decision making in the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU)
Kelly N. Michelson, MD, MPH, FCCM, FAAP; Elizabeth Martinez, BA; Danica Aniciete, MS; Marla Clayman, PhD, MPH; Patricia Fragen, BA ...
(54) Enhancing Pediatric Resident Intensive Care Experience and Interdisciplinary Relationships by Increasing Procedure Based Education by PICU Nurse Practitioners.
(55) Inverted Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy leading to Cardiac Arrest, rescued by ECMO (E-CPR) in a Pediatric Patient with Traumatic Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
Odiraa C. Nwankwor, MD. MPH, FAAP; Curt D. Froehlich, MD; Marc A. Priest, BSN, RN, CCRN; Christopher D. Beaty; Daniel Dirnberger, MD ...
(59) Risk factors and clinical course of patients with severe Chikungunya Virus Infection in patients admitted to a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
Armando Sarasua, BS; Reina Añeses, BS; Reichel Rodriguez, RN; Anabel Puig-Ramos, Ph.D; Gilberto Puig-Ramos, MD, FAAP
(61) Clinical Course of Severe Traumatic Brain Injury Patients Admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit: a 19 years overview
Karla M. Rodríguez-Peniston; Jesús A. Merced-Román; Jan G. García-Agosto; Nadya I. Rivera-Gelabert; Fabiola Guasp-Reyes ...
(70) Association of cerebral regional oxygen saturations with short-term neurologic outcomes and survival in neonatal and pediatric patients supported on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
(73) Examining the incidence of critical findings in intubated patients receiving routine daily chest x-rays in a pediatric intensive care unit
Victoria Walston, B.A.; Theresa Graif, M.D.; James Walston, M.D.; Omar Fares, B.S.; Daniel Hubbard, M.D.
Peds 21: Pediatricians Leading Change in Physician Health and Wellness
Section on Emergency Medicine Program: Day 1
Heather Kelker, MD; Rachel Stanley, MD MHSA; Julie C. Leonard, MD MPH; Daniel Cohen, MD; David Kline, PhD ...
The Michigan Emergency Department Improvement Collaborative: A novel model for implementing large scale practice change in pediatric emergency care.
Michele Nypaver, MD; Michelle Macy, MD, MS, FAAP; James Pribble, MD; Brad Uren, MD; Keith Kocher, MD, MPH ...
Improving the Pain Experience for Children with Limb Injury in the City of Calgary, Alberta: A Multi-Site Quality Improvement Collaborative
Jennifer Thull-Freedman, MD, MSc, FAAP; Tyler Williamson, PhD; Erin Pols, RN, BSN; Ashley McFetridge, RN, BSN; Suzanne Libbey, RRT, BHSc ...
Geographic Regions with Stricter Gun Laws Have Fewer Emergency Department Visits for Pediatric Firearm-Related Injuries: A Five-Year National Study
Shilpa J. Patel, MD, MPH; Gia M. Badolato, MPH; Kavita Parikh, MD; Sabah F. Iqbal, MD; Monika K. Goyal, MD, MSCE
Patient and Caregiver Attitudes Towards Comprehensive Behavioral Health Screening in the Emergency Department
Steven Langerman, BA; Gia M. Badolato, MPH; Alexandra C. Rucker, MD, MPH; Lenore Jarvis, MD, MEd; Shilpa J. Patel, MD, MPH ...
Lenore Jarvis, MD, MEd; Kristen Breslin, MD, MPH; Allison Jackson, MD, MPH; Brooke Goodwin, LICSW; Jeanne Pettinichi, MSN, RN, CPN, CPEN ...
A Machine-Learning Approach to Predicting Need for Hospitalization for Pediatric Asthma Exacerbation at the Time of Emergency Department Triage
A Nationwide Analysis of Emergency Department Utilization of Head CT in Children with Closed Head Injury
Onyinyechi Ukwuoma, MD, MPH; Veerajalandhar Allareddy, MD, MBA, FAAP, FACP; Veerasathpurush Allareddy, BDS MBA MHA PhD MMSc; Sankeerth Rampa; Jerri Rose, M.D., F.A.A.P. ...
A quality improvement project to decrease blood culture contaminants in a pediatric emergency department: an interrupted time series analysis
Paul C. Mullan, MD, MPH; Sara Scott, RN; Kathy Brown, MD; Asha Payne, MD, MPH; Jeanne Pettinichi, MSN, RN, CPN, CPEN ...
Relationship between Enteric Pathogen and Acute Gastroenteritis Disease Severity: A Prospective Cohort Study
Section on Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Program: Day 1
Kokou Hefoume Amegan-Aho, MD, MCGP, MWACP; Patience Abla. Kuwornoo, BSc, MBChB; Bright Richard. Danyoh, BSc, MBChB; Jonathan Spector, MD, MPH; James Owusu-Koranteng, Bcc, MBChB
Topics: neonatal intensive care units
Utilizing Quality Improvement Science to Improve Resident Neonatal Resuscitation Skills in the Delivery Room
C Briana Bertoni, MD; Amy Schlegel, MD, MS; Rene' Hardin, CNP; Stephanie Napolitano, MD, MS; Thomas Bartman, MD, PhD
Treatment with inhaled nitric oxide is associated with improved survival in preterm neonates diagnosed with pulmonary hypoplasia
Kevin R. Ellsworth, MD; Garth F. Asay, MD; Marc A. Ellsworth, MD; Lindsey R. Sangaralingham, MPH; Reese H. Clark, MD ...
Targeted Investigation Of Novel Human Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stem Cell Biomarkers Of Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia In Preterm Infants
Cord Blood Cleaved Fibroblast Growth Factor 23 (cFGF23) is Increased with Intrauterine Growth Restricted (IUGR)
Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis EVC001 stably restores the infant gut microbiome over the first year of life in breastfed infants.
Jennifer Smilowitz, PhD; Andra Hutton, MS; Lindsey Contreras; Claire Shaw; Carlito Lebrilla, PhD ...
Loss of the keystone infant gut symbiont, Bifidobacterium, has fundamentally changed fecal biochemistry in breastfed infants over the past century.
Jennifer Smilowitz, PhD; Mark A. Underwood, MD; Andra Hutton, MS; Lindsey Contreras; Michelle Palumbo, BS ...
Metagenomic analysis reveals reduction in antibiotic resistance gene carriage in breastfed infants supplemented with activated Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis.
Giorgio Casaburi, PhD; Steven Frese, PhD; Andra Hutton, MS; Claire Shaw; Jennifer Smilowitz, PhD ...
Crosstalk from Pulmonary Artery Endothelial Cells (PAEC) Alters Pulmonary Artery Smooth Muscle Cell (PASMC) Metabolic Phenotype in Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN)
CSF IL-6 & IL-10 levels in Preterm and Full term newborns in presence of Suspected Sepsis and intraventricular hemorrhage
Paola America Huaynate Cuadrado, MD; Paulos Yigazu, MD; Chaitanya Kanitkar; Nimisha Gupta, MD; Jagdish Desai, MD ...
Postpartum Depressive Symptoms in Parents at Discharge from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU): Risk Factors and Association with Parental Stress
Lamia Soghier, MD MEd; Katherine Kritikos, MPH; Cara Carty, PhD; Lisa Tuchman, MD, MPH; Randi Streisand, PhD ...
Quality Improvement Initiatives to Increase Breast Milk Use in the Boston Children’s NICU: Increasing Rates of Skin to Skin Care and Decreasing Time to First Lactation Consultation
Resource Utilization Patterns of Neonates with Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy in Children’s Hospitals and Non-Children’s Hospitals in the United States 1997-2012
Chang Liu, MPH; Ashley Song, MPH; Ashwini Lakshmanan, MD, MPH; Eugenia Ho, MD, MPH; Philippe Friedlich, MD, MBA, MSEpi ...
Very Early MRI During Therapeutic Hypothermia to Measure Severity of Brain Injury in Neonates with Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy
Ashley M. Lucke, MD; Anil Shetty, PhD; Jeffrey Kaiser, MD MA; Magdalena Sanz Cortes; Joseph Hagan, ScD ...
Neonatal and Maternal Factors Associated With Postnatal Left Ventricular Cardiac Function Changes in Large for Gestational Age Newborns
Iram Nadroo, MD; Manoj Chhabra, M.D.; Beata Dygulska, M.D.; Madhu Gudavalli, M.D.; Nayaab Khawar, M.S. ...
Efficacy of an Interactive E-Learning curriculum in the NICU (INTERN) compared to traditional instruction as a method to improve pediatric resident education - a randomized controlled trial
Reducing Unintended Extubation Rates in the Children’s National Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU): A Quality Improvement Project
Michelande Ridore, MS; Jessica Carman, RN; Lisa Zell, BSN; Ann-Marie Brown, RN; Carmen Blake, BSN ...
Initiation and Compliance with a Chest X-Ray (CXR) Reduction Protocol in the Children's National Medical Center Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Michelande Ridore, MS; William Pastor, MA, MPH; Dorothy Bulas, MD; Sarah McKenney; Lamia Soghier, MD MEd ...
Persistent Lactic Acidosis during Therapeutic Hypothermia for Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy Predicts Adverse Outcome
Perinatal complications associated with Prader-Willi syndrome (PWS) – comparison to the general population and among the different genetic subtypes.
Preeti Singh, MD MPH FAAP; Ranim Mahmoud, MD; June-Ann Gold, MD; Roy N. Tamura, PhD; Jennifer L. Miller, MD ...
Differences in the Stool and Skin Microbiome, Virulence Factor and Antimicrobial Resistance Genes in a Private Room Verses a Shared Space Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Screening lab work in infants (≥ 35 weeks) exposed to chorioamnionitis: how useful are 12 hour CBC and CRP in identifying early onset sepsis?
Reducing The Incidence Of Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD) In A 7-Year Period Using A Bundle of Strategies: A Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Quality Improvement Project
Costs and Effects of Vitamin C Supplementation for Pregnant Smokers to Improve Offspring Lung Function at Birth and Reduce Childhood Wheeze/Asthma
Leah Yieh, MD, MPH; Cindy T. McEvoy, MD, MCR; Scott W. Hoffmann, ScM; Aaron B. Caughey, MD, PhD; Kelvin D. MacDonald, MD ...
Section on Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Program: Day 2
Hbs1L mutation causes destabilization of Pelota protein and leads to growth restriction, skeletal dysplasia, retinal pigmentation, and hypotonia in humans and mice
Amy E. O'Connell, MD, PhD, FAAP; Siqi Cao, B.S.; Marie-Francoise O'Donohue, Ph.D.; Pankaj Agrawal, M.B.B.S., M.S.
Asimenia Angelidou, M.D., Ph.D.; Katherine Bell, M.D.; Munish Gupta, M.D., MMSc; Kristen T. Leeman, MD; Anne Hansen, M.D.
Abdominal Near-Infrared Spectroscopy in a Piglet Model of Gastrointestinal Hypoxia Using Graded Hypoxia or Superior Mesenteric Artery Ligation
May W. Chen, MD; Michael Reyes, BA; Ewa Kulikowicz, MS; David J. Hackam, MD, PhD; Raymond C. Koehler, PhD ...